Hi Tim –Your point is completely valid. We recognize that the solution isn’t perfect but it does serve the desired purpose, to isolate administrative and provenance metadata, even though technically the admin metadata is still a property of the resource, which in a perfect solution, it would not be.

We settled on this approach after examining alternative approaches that would have achieved this secondary objective, for example, reification, and VOID.

We had been advised by a number of RDF experts to avoid reification because it is complex and difficult to implement.  We chose not to use VoID for a number of reasons; one, because it seems to be overkill for our purpose, and second, because as far as we can tell it is not a well-accepted nor vetted technology.

We want to move forward with BIBFRAME 2.0 using simple approaches where possible, and we chose this simple approach with the idea that it is a temporary solution to the problem, pending a stable, implementable, and well-adopted solution.

Thanks.

Ray Denenberg

Library of Congress