On Jan 28, 2016 5:11 PM, "Robert Sanderson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I respectfully disagree.  CRM is an event based model that also models the universe, from a museum object provenance tracking perspective.  It doesn't fulfill most of the needs of a bibliographic oriented system.

I don't know if I would  describe the model as event based, as opposed to having a strong event model.  I don't think Carl Lagoze would be unhappy though- http://www.loc.gov/catdir/bibcontrol/lagoze.html

You are absolutely right that the CRM doesn't cover many important Bibliographic concepts. These concepts should be modeled in FRBRoo (which as of version 2 includes FRAD and FRSAD).

The IFLA page for FRBRoo is http://www.ifla.org/node/10171

The response to solicited comments on version 2.2 are informative.

Simon

From version FRBRoo v.2.4:

<<1.1.1. A Common View of Cultural Heritage Information

The main goal is to reach a common view of cultural heritage information with respect to modelling, standards, recommendations, and practices. Libraries and museums are memory institutions – both strive to preserve cultural heritage objects, and information about such objects, and they often share the same users.

Besides, the boundary between them is often blurred: libraries hold a number of museum objects and museums hold a number of library objects; the cultural heritage objects preserved in both types of institutions were created
in the same cultural context or period, sometimes by the same agents, and they provide evidence of comparable cultural features. It seems therefore appropriate to build a common conceptualisation of the information gathered
by the two types of organisations about cultural heritage.

It should be kept in mind that FRBROO was developed as a high-level conceptual model. It is not meant to be implemented verbatim, nor does it cover all the details that are usually to be found in actual records produced
by libraries. Implementation issues, such as how to handle strings, how to represent identifiers, how to represent time, etc., are not covered in the model. The purpose of both FRBROO and CIDOC CRM is to achieve interoperability, not to propose a particular implementation.>>

Simon