Hi, Corey,

Ah yes, the Firesign Theatre tape that appeared to have been made with
part two overwriting part one (but going in the other direction, I
think). It was two track stereo. I suspected that this was the reason
and I realize it was used to reduce erase noise. If the erase head had
not been disabled, they would have lost one half hour segment instead of
two--although there was a tantalizing hint to what be there, we could
not find even a sliver to recover without the other program.

Later designs with higher erase frequencies and especially lower
waveform distortion did not need to do this. There was no longer a benefit.

Cheers,

Richard