Interesting discussion. I generally agree with what John Haley writes. Yet, I  prefer hearing everything. I also prefer reading the entire book, instead of the "Reader's Digest" version. And for those of you who are REALLY pressed for time, there is Hal Freedman's Wagner Ring Précis where he superimposes Wagner's Ring on top of itself over 200 times and condenses it to about 3 and 1/2 minutes...and takes care of Bartók's String Quartets similarly in his Bartók Précis. (available on LP Opus One 58)
I cannot tell you how many years I have waited to have the opportunity to share that bit of trivia!
Munch and Henriot Schweitzer take a cut in the cadenza (1st movement) of the Prokofiev Second Piano Concerto. It was the first recording of the work I heard, hence I was surprised when I heard the additional music in other recordings. Was cut was difficult to play? Was the cut made for that reason? If so, was it appropriate to do so, or should they have not played the work?
On the subject of Rachmaninoff, consider his 4th Concerto. I prefer his original version over the subsequent revisions. Yet, one writer has suggested that Rachmaninoff made cuts even before the first version. I think it was in a letter to Medtner where Rachmaninoff suggested the work was, originally, so long it would need to be done in a series of two concerts! Ah, that Rachmaninoff...what a comedian!
Similar to the notion of cuts, is the one of different versions of works. Thanks to recordings, we can hear the first versions of many works. When I taught composition I would often bring to our class, recordings of the original and revised versions of works. We would speculate as to the possible reasons why a composer changed things. It was a great teaching tool. Yet, if the students knew the work, they always preferred the work as they first got to know it.
Ok, how many of you might have become acquainted with the Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances by listening to the Ormandy LP? Remember the side break in the middle of one movement?  When a friend of mine was conducting the work, we joked about his taking a long pause in the same spot for those who knew the Ormandy recording so they could imagine taking the time to flip over the record.
And then what a surprise it was when I first heard the final tam-tam stroke allowed to continue to vibrate (as it is noted in the score).
Karl