On 2/25/16 2:18 PM, Folsom, Steven wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Karen,

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on subclassing W/I's. Do we need the assertions to be formal subclasses? Why wouldn't multiple type assertions work (forgive the pun)? For example:

ex:Thing a bf:Work , lcgft:Almanac . # where lcgft:Almanacs isn't formally a bf:Work subclass

Yes, that could be done. And that's quite neat because the lcgft already exists, and surely there are other schemes from other communities that would be useful as well. They would have to be declared as classes. This does require you to code both the bf:Work and the (whateverElse) class(es), but that's not a huge burden. However, even within the genres, it probably makes sense to look at whether some structural relationship between genres isn't logical. We have a flat list now, but I think that's because we couldn't use relationships between genres in our "old world." If we have "tactile text" and "text" wouldn't it be logical to treat all things coded as tactile text to also be texts? A subclass relationship would be a logical way to do that.

The other option, which may be useful in some but not all cases, is what I believe you mean by "formal subclasses":

lcgft:Almanac rdfx:subClassOf bf:Work

This wouldn't preclude you also using terms that are not subclassed to work. I see this more as a statement of the semantics than a question of efficiency or even "correctness". It would allow you to infer from Almanac that you have a Work.

I'm sure that there are advantages and disadvantages of both methods. I think it's worth considering.

I believe I said this before on this list (or some other list), but FRBR work is a very abstract concept, and I have a hard time seeing it as something that one would want to instantiate except in rare cases. Most of the time instead you have something more specific, and that is a genre -- a type of work -- which is a property in FRBR. I'm suggesting that rather than being a property it could be a subclass of work, that is, a type of work. It would have workness by inference, but it was also be more specific than just "work" which I don't think is terribly useful.

Why make those genres subclasses rather than properties? Or, conversely, what is the advantage of having a generic work with a property for genre rather than some number of work types? I have questions, no answers, and would love to hear what others think.

(Note: subclassing FRBR entities is what FaBIO did, even though I find their division of the universe a bit odd, but that was clearly their intention. See: http://kcoyle.net/frbr/?page_id=94.)

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Hopefully in future modeling we provision for a single method to note content types (either through bf:Work subclassing or multiple type assertions using existing vocabularies). [And *not* also bf:Category.]

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Steven

P.S. *warning FAST propaganda ahead*

Genre/content type access was the impetus for work we did at Cornell to implement FAST in our catalog; OCLC's LCSH to FAST algorithms give relatively nice 655's. It provided a nice reclamation process for form/genres to answer to the historic/varied practice Adam describes happening MARC.

Yes, I love the idea of FAST even though I haven't actually gotten to use it. I was hoping that it would be possible to algorithmically define a good number of genres even though our practice has not been consistent, and you seem to be saying that there is a respectable success rate. That's all we need to get started.

kc

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

We soon found other utilities for our FAST implementation, e.g.

- Controlled headings/entities for what use to be 653 keyword access in minimum level cataloging

- Catalogers have even gone on record as having the "freedom" to say things they couldn't using LCSH

- The "entification" challenges Roy described got easier (at least for subjects) during MARC to RDF conversions because of the $0's.