To take the points James makes further—  [hopefully] we’ll start seeing
data produced outside of the library context brought into our workflows
more and more, with less and less overhead.

One area where the content standards and carrier/models intersect is with
regard to how Authorized Access Points are prescribed to be formed to
avoid “collision”. In an open world workflow, to attempt to get everyone
in the world to agree to refer to a person/place/thing/etc with the same
label is not advisable, nor in a linked data context do we have to. We
just need need enough data about the entity so that we can reconcile the
URIs and to allow users to disambiguate one entity from another in users
interfaces. This data doesn’t have to be captured in an authorized access
point, but rather through the various properties permitted for used with
that entity type.

A lot of what I’ve said above is theoretical, of course, because library
systems by and large do not make use of URIs in these ways.

————
Steven Folsom
Metadata Technologies Program Manager
Harvard Library
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3427-5769

On 2/9/16, 4:30 AM, "Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum
on behalf of James Weinheimer" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of