James Weinheimer wrote:
>>... When catalogers speak, they speak primarily in terms of rules and procedures,
>>not so much in terms of MARC. A quick review of Autocat or RDA shows this.
>> When catalogers do use MARC, it is more of a shorthand for the rules,
>> e.g. they might use 245$b in place of typing out "other title information".

I wholeheartedly agree with this!  We know that MARC is a data communication protocol and not 'cataloging rules'--yet it is an invaluable 'short hand' for human-to-human communication about cataloging data.  Without this or a similar shorthand in our profession it would be much more difficult to discuss our work clearly (and perform it efficiently), IMHO.

Michael Ayres | Technical Services Manager
City of Irving  l  Irving Public Library System
801 W. Irving Blvd., Irving, TX  75060
P:  (972) 721-2764   F:  (972) 721-2329
[log in to unmask] | CityofIrving.org