On Feb 19, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Joy Nelson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ...In our system we store marc as marc and as marcxml.  In my initial thoughts into this process, I'm wondering if the system just needs to become more 'agnostic' in the data format.  If I provide BIBFRAME in RDF/XML then the system should be able to pull out the bits it needs for display.  We would need some logic in the innerworkings to deal with various types of XML data.  And using an indexer on the system that can handle various XML formats would help in searching by users.  (I'm thinking Elastic Search here).   Right now I tend to think of the BIBFRAME descriptions as distinct units that would be similar to a marcxml record.  It is concievable to think that there would be an additional layer on top that would store ALL the triples and use some kind of SPARQL querying/searching???  I don't know about that yet.  An ILS has need for relational database structure since it is transactional.  But...could there be  component that is a graph database???…

Very interesting. Thank you, and based on this input, I’ve outlined a possible workflow for creating, maintaining, and exposing bibliographic description in the form of BIBFRAME linked data:

  1. Answer the questions, "What is bibliographic
     description, and how does it help facilitate the goals
     of librarianship?"

  2. Understand the concepts of the Semantic Web,
     specifically, the ideas behind Linked Data.

  3. Embrace & understand the strengths & weaknesses of
     BIBFRAME as a model for bibliographic description.

  4. Design or identify and then install a system for
     creating, storing, and editing your bibliographic data.
     This will be some sort of database application whether
     it be based on SQL, non-SQL, XML, or a triple store. It
     might even be your existing integrated library system.

  5. Using the database system, create, store, import/edit
     your bibliographic descriptions. For example, you might
     simply use your existing integrated library for these
     purposes, or you might transform your MARC data into
     BIBFRAME and pour the result into a triple store.

  6. Expose your bibliographic description as Linked Data
     by writing a report against the database system. This
     might be as simple as configuring your triple store, or
     as complicated as converting MARC/AACR2 from your
     integrated library system to BIBFRAME.

  7. Facilitate the discovery process, ideally through
     the use of a triple store/SPARQL combination, or
     alternatively directly against integrated library
     system.

  8. Go to Step #5 on a daily basis.

  9. Go to Step #1 on an annual basis.

If the profession continues to use its existing integrated library systems for maintaining bibliographic data (Step #4), then the hard problem to solve is transforming and exposing the bibliographic data as linked data in the form of BIBFRAME. If the profession designs a storage and maintenance system rooted in BIBFRAME to begin with, then the problem is accurately converting existing data into BIBFRAME and then designing mechanisms for creating/editing the data. I suppose the later option is “better”, but the former option is more feasible and requires less retooling.

—
Eric Lease Morgan