From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum <BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV> on behalf of Adam L. Schiff <aschiff@UW.EDU>
Sent: Friday, 26 February 2016 10:27 a.m.
To: BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV
Subject: Re: [BIBFRAME] Things I haven't seen in bibframe

Karen wrote: “But we don't let them choose between a treaty, a reference book, and a book review. That information may be discernible from the bibliographic data, but it isn't presented in a usable way. At best it's hidden in a sub-section of a subject heading which a user only sees in a long display.”

Actually, RDA has the element Form of Work (MARC 380), and we have the non-RDA entry in MARC Index Term--Genre/Form (MARC 655).  BIBFRAME has places for both of them.  So we actually already have two places to record that one thing is a treaty, another is a reference book, and another is a book review.  And we even have LC Genre/Form Terms already established for each of these things.

Treaties  https://classificationweb.net/Images310/gum16x11.png

Texts of individual agreements or collections of agreements between two or more states, including protocols, supplements, amendments, etc.

UF

Accords (Law)

Agreements, International

Concords (Law)

Conventions (Law)

Final acts (Treaties)

International agreements

Pacts (Law)

Protocols (Law)

BT

Law materials

Records (Documents)

RT

Travaux préparatoires (Treaties)

Reference works  https://classificationweb.net/Images310/gum16x11.png

Works intended primarily for consultation rather than for consecutive reading.

UF

Reference books

Reference materials

Reference resources