James,
Ironically, in your assesement of the Knowledge graph "what's so amazing?", you've outlined exactly what is amazing.  We *don't* have to go to many other resources to find out the details of the singer.  It's gathered for us in one place because the data is in fact linked together.  I take issue with Wikipedia being the source, but the way I see it is that it is a 'proof of concept' of how linked data can work for us.

And yes, admittedly out catalog/search systems need work.  So if we are going to undertake a revolution in how they work, it would be prudent to see how the underlying data can be altered as well to suit the needs we and researchers may have.

joy

-joy