I strongly agree with everyone. There's a big difference between the two terms, and what we're talking about is precision! It's disappointing that an ISO committee would be confused. I'm sure no more explanation is needed, but I was briefly a high-school math teacher, and I can't resist adding some.

(1) Attached is a photo I've used to help students understand the concept of significant figures; it shows the label on the package of a hammer I own.. Of course 226.72 grams is much more precise than 8 ounces, but I doubt it's any more acccurate!

(2) One of my favorite examples of the difference between accuracy and precision is: The mathematical constant pi to 10 decimal places is 3.14159 26536, but, as you know,  it is often approximated by 3-1/7. Rounded to 10 decimal places, 3-1/7 is 3.14285 71429, which is much more precise than 3.14159, with only 5 decimal places. But it is considerably less accurate, i.e., it’s not nearly as close to the actual value as 3.14159 is.

--Don

On Feb 5, 2016, at 4:34 PM, John Hostage <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

I agree.

John

From: Discussion of the Developing Date/Time Standards [[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>] on behalf of Nathan Harrenstein [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 05, 2016 16:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accuracy vs. Precision

I think precision is the correct term here. According to the Oxford dictionary, precision is the "refinement in a measurement, calculation, or specification, especially as represented by the number of digits given". In this case, we are refining the number of possible dates as we add components (Y -> YM -> YMD).

In addition if we have an event which occurred on 1965-07-07, we can also say that the event occurred in 1965-07 or 1965 and we would not be inaccurate, only less precise.

Nathan