Coursera has announced a new self-paced course on Copyright for Multimedia.  The class is web based and is no cost (or $49.00 if you want a formal certificate). (https://www.coursera.org/learn/copyright-for-multimedia/)

The instructors – Kevin Smith, Lisa Macklin, and Anne Gilliland taught an excellent copyright class last year and this is the follow-up.  I took the earlier class and believe that this one will be of interest to many federal librarians and information staff.

Copyright for Multimedia

Duke University, Emory University, and The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill

About this Course

Copyright questions about different formats (data, images, music and video) can be especially difficult. Sometimes the law specifically distinguishes between these different formats, and in most cases there are media-specific considerations that impact a copyright analysis. In this course we will look at four different media, paying special attention to the unique issues for each one and the kinds of information that is important when making copyright decisions for each type of material. We will work through fair use issues for each multimedia format, look at format-specific exceptions in the law, and consider unique issues for seeking permission for film, music, images and data. At the end of this course, participants will have a deeper understanding of how to apply our framework for making copyright decisions, and will be more comfortable with assessing multimedia issues. They will have gained more and more diverse experience for considering fair use.

Subtitles available in English

4 weeks of study, 1-2 hours/week

Christopher Cole

Manager, Business Development