Does MODS have a method of encoding alternate names for a person or corp?  For example, "Claudia Alta Johnson" and "Lady Bird Johnson" or "IBM" and "International Business Machines"

I was thinking I could I encode them as <namePart type="alternative"> but the MODS description of namePart only lists four values for @type and none of them are "alternative".  Is that list of four set in stone, or are those just examples, and I'm free to use other values if I want/need to?

<name type=”corporate”>

   <namePart>IBM</namePart>

   <namePart type=”alternative”>International Business Machines”</namePart>

</name>

Or should it just go in as part of <description>?

Thanks --

Michele

+++++++++

Michele Combs | Lead Archivist

Special Collections Research Center

Syracuse University Libraries

222 Waverly Ave

Syracuse, New York 13244

t 315.443-2081 | e [log in to unmask] | w scrc.syr.edu

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY

syr.edu