I looked in VIAF to see if there was an authority record for someone I was about to create. There was not an authority record for that person, but there was a French authority record for a namesake. Now that I have looked, do I need to worry about differentiating my authority record so it does not conflict with the one already in VIAF? Or are we not at that stage yet?

Jay Shorten

Cataloger, Monographs and Electronic Resources

Associate Professor of Bibliography

Catalog Department

University Libraries

University of Oklahoma

Co-owner, PERSNAME-L, the list about personal names in bibliographic and authority records