Dear Implementers,

We would like to encourage you to take part in the review process of the new controlled vocabulary for preservation events (all relevant information below). Events document the processes to which the digital objects in our care are subjected. This review gives us an opportunity to discuss and come to agreement about what we do, why we do it and what trail we leave for future users.

Please do get in touch if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Pete

CONTROLLED VOCABULARY FOR PRESERVATION EVENTS: draft release for consultation

http://premisimplementers.pbworks.com/w/page/102414958/Preservation%20Events%20Introduction

The PREMIS Editorial Committee is pleased to announce the release of a draft update to the controlled vocabulary for digital preservation events.

Version 3 of the PREMIS Data Dictionary was released in June 2015. As part of that work, the Committee also reviewed the controlled vocabulary for preservation events.

The preservation events controlled vocabulary was last modified in August 2012 and is part of the preservation vocabularies maintained at the Library of Congress Linked Data Service [http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/preservation/eventType]. The review took into account requests from various institutions to have new events added to the vocabulary as well discussions at various PREMIS events and the experiences brought by the Committee itself.

The new draft of the vocabulary for preservation events is presented here for community feedback. As well as new events, the notion of core preservation events has been introduced. These are events that may be deemed to be central to any organisation wanting to preserve digital objects in the long-term. The concept has not been applied to a Library of Congress preservation vocabulary before and hopefully will generate community discussion.

Why comment?
Events document the processes to which the digital objects in our care are subjected. We believe that across the community there should be a level of consistency about what those events are. Through a controlled vocabulary the community can express a shared understanding of the majority of the processes undertaken as digital objects are preserved.

Timescale for Comment
This review process is now open and will close on 29th February 2016.

Yours,

PREMIS Editorial Committee

Peter McKinney | Digital Preservation Policy Analyst | Information and Knowledge Services
National Library of New Zealand Te Puna M
tauranga o Aotearoa
Direct Dial: +64 4 462 3931 | Extn: 3931
Cnr Molesworth and Aitken Streets | PO Box 1467, Wellington 6140 |

http://digitalpreservation.natlib.govt.nz/

I work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

The National Library is part of the Department of Internal Affairs