Thank you Joe for your recent post to the PCClist.   We are very
interested in making more use of PCClist to address community concerns
and questions about BIBFRAME and the Strategic Directions and are happy
for this opportunity to respond.

The PCC Steering Committee discussed the issues you raised and agree
that there is tension that needs to be considered but believe it is
still too early in the process for any resolution to occur.  Not enough
work has been done for us to imagine all the ways in which cataloging
will change. The PCC and LC  both are actively engaged in monitoring the
LC BIBFRAME pilot.  Data from the pilot was produced using RDA and it
will be carefully reviewed and analyzed for sufficiency by LC, PoCo and
other stakeholders.  Several PoCo members are also part of the
anticipated LD4P/L projects and it is expected that much will be learned
once work begins.  The combination of production work and research
should answer many questions. PCC is also about to announce several new
committees and task groups which will help increase community
understanding and perhaps more importantly bring more catalogers into
the conversation.  The May OpCo meeting will have agenda topics devoted
to the issues around RDA and the transition to LOD and has even added an
extra half day for a "Moving Away from MARC-athon" to raise awareness.
We know that many catalogers are eager to get started and the amount of
time it takes to lay the groundwork and develop consensus is
frustrating. PCC's role at this point is to learn, engage in discussion
and experiment so that in the future we will be able to exercise our
traditional role in standards development and training in best practices.

Please continue to raise questions as this will help move the process
forward.

Kate

--
Kate Harcourt
Director, Original and Special Materials Cataloging