Good morning!

You could check out the series training materials.  The section on treatment decisions

http://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/courses/naco-full%20series-RDA/Session%205.pdf

covers republications starting on page 11.  I often find that the case I have in hand doesn't fit exactly into one of the categories given, but this is where I always start.  I believe that case number 4 is the one that answers your question about the number of SARs to create

Here is the republication related text & examples from the link above - number 4 is the last category

Republications

In the context of series work, republications are manifestations published later, usually by a
different publisher, in the same or different physical medium:
microfiche
reprint (= photo-offset reprint)
digitized
large print
braille

There are at least four possible situations where series are involved in republications.

1. We can have a series of republished volumes in the sense that the later publisher has
gathered works that were published previously, to create a new series. In this case the
series work is not different from what has already been covered, except for instances
when we note the nature of the medium in several fields of the series authority record.

130 Neighborhood churches of Chicago
643 Chicago ǂb Barnes Microforms Co. ǂd microfiche
644 f ǂ5 InU microfiche
645 t ǂ5 DPCC ǂ5 InU microfiche
646 s ǂ5 InU microfiche
670 Microfiche/St. Joseph’s of Cicero, 1997: ǂb added t.p. (Neighborhood churches of
Chicago)

2. The series may have been on the work as originally published. The republished volume
must display the original series statement, which will be in a bibliographic history note
(RDA 27.1.1.3):

in bibliographic record:

260 New York : ǂb Harper & Row, ǂc 2006.
500 Reprint of: Venice / by Cecil Roth. – Philadelphia : The Jewish Publication Society
of America, 1930. – (Jewish communities series ; v. 3)
830 Jewish communities series ; ǂv v. 3.

In most cases, the later publisher reissues only one or a few volumes of the series -- a
volume on subject matter that is again topical, or a volume on a subject whose
anniversary is being commemorated. For this reason we usually do not create a distinct
access point and separate authority record; instead we have an access point and an
authority record for both the original and any republication(s), to avoid creating an
authority record if it is needed for only one or two bibliographic records. The access
point and the authority record reflect the original publication.

in authority record:

130 Jewish communities series
642 v. 3 ǂ5 DPCC ǂ5 InU
643 Philadelphia ǂb The Jewish Publication Society of America

3. A republication may carry two series statements, one from the original manifestation and
one from the republication. This case then represents a combination of our first two
scenarios and will have two series access points in the bibliographic record. The
bibliographic record will reflect both series and the cataloger must be careful not to
confuse the two.

245 Golf greens and green-keeping
260 Chelsea, MI : ǂb Ann Arbor Press, ǂc 2001.
490 Classics of golf course maintenance and construction
500 Reprint of: Golf greens and green-keeping -- London : Country Life, 1906. – (The
“Country Life” library of sport)
830 Classics of golf course maintenance and construction.
830 “Country Life” library of sport.

And there will be two authority records, of course.

4. Occasionally it is clear that a later publisher is reissuing all the volumes of an earlier
series, in another format, for example. In this case, for the volumes of the reprint series
we create a series access point and authority record that reflect the later manifestation.
Various fields also reflect the format of the republication.

The 643 field gives the later publisher’s place and name, with a ǂd that specifies the
republication format. This avoids misidentification with the place and publisher of the
original.

The 670 field for the republished work begins with the republication format, followed by
a back-slash. This avoids misidentification with the time period of the original.
The treatment fields include a format term in the library’s ǂ5.

in authority record:

130 Colonial statesmen
642 no. 1 ǂ5 DPCC large-print ǂ5 large-print
643 Williamsburg, VA ǂb College of William and Mary ǂd large-print
644 f ǂ5 large-print
645 t ǂ5 DPCC large-print ǂ5 large-print
646 s ǂ5 large-print
670 Large-print/A closer look at Patrick Henry, 2002: ǂb t.p. (Colonial statesmen)
in bibliographic record:
260 Williamsburg, VA : ǂb College of William and Mary, ǂc 2002.
500 Reprint of: A closer look at Patrick Henry. – Boston : Patriot Press, 1897. –
(Colonial statesmen ; no. 1)
830 Colonial statesmen ; ǂv no. 1.

If and when another type of republication of the same series needs to be cataloged, do not
create a further series access point nor an additional authority record. Add appropriate
treatment information to the 644, 645 and 646 fields in subfields, but don’t add a further
643 or 670 field.

edited authority record:

130 Colonial statesmen
642 no. 1 ǂ5 DPCC large-print ǂ5 DPCC microfiche ǂ5 large-print ǂ5 microfiche
643 Williamsburg, VA ǂb College of William and Mary ǂd large-print
644 f ǂ5 large-print ǂ5 microfiche
645 t ǂ5 DPCC large-print ǂ5 DPCC microfiche ǂ5 large-print ǂ5 microfiche
646 s ǂ5 DLC large-print ǂ5 DLC microfiche
670 Large-print/A closer look at Patrick Henry, 2002: ǂb t.p. (Colonial statesmen)

Exception to point #4: In the case of reissued resources that are sound recordings or moving
image material, we consider that these are further editions, rather than republications. Separate
series authorized access points and separate authority records are made.

Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641