I think it is safe to say that the “series” is a form of “serial” (there seems to be no end as long as Brill keeps publishing new monographs in the series) comprised of monographic “works” as volumes.

The nature of the contents of each “series” is also essentially different, in the sense that issues are not issued in parallel.

If each “manifestation” of “the series” have different literary-warrant-determined AAPs and/or x-refs, they would benefit from having different authority records.

Others (including LC) do add “Online” to differentiate from print series and serials, so that is a moot justification.

Maybe we better start quoting RDA. It’s darned hard to search!

Cheers!

John G. Marr

DACS

Zimmerman Library

University of New Mexico

Albuquerque, NM 87010

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**

                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.