This may not be quite relevant to the discussion here.  But take a look under Wesley, John. Works.  Two series in 1975 and 1984.
The one in 1984, first started at Oxford, but then Abingdon took it over and numbering continued from one set to the other, but there are two different authorized headings for the 1984 series as well as for the 1975 series.  And in the 1975, one is classed collectively, and the other as monographic set.  I forget what we did locally when I catalogued; I may have described separately and classed collectively.
In any case, these "Works" by Wesley can become and did become a bit muddled in terms of description and explaining it to patrons and other librarians.

Gene Fieg

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Kevin M Randall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

What I was trying to say is that, even though we are creating separate records for separate manifestations, that does not mean we also create separate AAPs.  Since a different record does not necessarily mean a different work, you use the same AAP in both if they both contain the same work.  We do not identify the manifestation in an AAP (which is what it has been looking like you are arguing for).

Kevin

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Gordon Marr
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 4:53 PM

To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Series title from two publishers, one numbered, other unnumbered

I’m not sure what you mean, Kevin. The different records identify the different manifestations and do not imply that they are different “works.”

John G. Marr

DACS

Zimmerman Library

University of New Mexico

Albuquerque, NM 87010

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**

                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.