Benjamin (and all):

Although I have normally only seen "J" for deleted DLC records, the rest of
the statement that Benjamin referred to solves the mystery:
The record has been deleted *by the institution which created it* [my
emphasis]. The code is used only for special cases of batchloaded records
for selected files, such as national libraries (LC, NLM, BL, etc.) and some
files loaded as resources for cataloging (NetFirst, Puvill, etc.)
Thus, it appears the the British Library Group Batchload (UKMGB), the
creating institution, deleted the record from their own holdings, and the
result is a "J"-encoded record in OCLC.

Richard Lammert

--

Rev. Richard A. Lammert           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Technical Services Librarian       mail: 6600 N. Clinton St.