From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Kevin M Randall [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] J level record?

Two things:

First, I'm trying to figure out what the point would be of having the J code in a record in WorldCat.  If the record has been deleted in the contributing institution's catalog, why are they then sending the record to WorldCat?  But if the record's going to get added to WorldCat anyway (which I can see value in), isn't it enough to just have the institution's holdings symbol NOT be attached to the record?  (This is saying nothing about 040 data.)  The J code seems to be somewhat confusing to other users of the record.

Second, if the record is going to have the J code when added to WorldCat, then the first library to add their symbol should probably change the code.  And certainly LC could (should?) have changed it when adding the 010/042.  (But I'm not sure about LC's workflows with monograph records...)

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Libraries
Northwestern University