"An arbitrary sequence of signs is not a* nomen* until it is assigned to be
an appellation for something in some context.  Only at this point is it
significant in the bibliographic universe.  The attributes of the
*nomen *entity
actually characterize the relationship between the *nomen* and the thing (
*res*) that is named." FRBR-LRM, Table 4.2, LRM-E9)

This stipulates that an unassigned string like "Smith, John" is not a nomen
until it is assigned as a nomen for a particular John Smith.  That
assignment serves to individuate the nomen.  The fact that many res
entities might have the appellation "Smith, John" does not mean that there
is a single nomen assigned to multiple res.  Rather, each nomen instance
must be the appellation of a particular res (within a given system).  The
fact that they all look the same is not relevant to the relationship each
has with its res.  A name which is unassigned is not a nomen, and identical
nomens assigned to multiple res does not imply the existence of an
unassigned nomen entity, or a nomen independent of any particular res.

The difference between two nomens need not be categorical.  Simply being
assigned as the appellations of two different res in the same category is
sufficient to differentiate the nomens.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist