"An arbitrary sequence of signs is not a nomen until it is assigned to be an appellation for something in some context.  Only at this point is it significant in the bibliographic universe.  The attributes of the nomen entity actually characterize the relationship between the nomen and the thing (res) that is named." FRBR-LRM, Table 4.2, LRM-E9)

This stipulates that an unassigned string like "Smith, John" is not a nomen until it is assigned as a nomen for a particular John Smith.  That assignment serves to individuate the nomen.  The fact that many res entities might have the appellation "Smith, John" does not mean that there is a single nomen assigned to multiple res.  Rather, each nomen instance must be the appellation of a particular res (within a given system).  The fact that they all look the same is not relevant to the relationship each has with its res.  A name which is unassigned is not a nomen, and identical nomens assigned to multiple res does not imply the existence of an unassigned nomen entity, or a nomen independent of any particular res.

The difference between two nomens need not be categorical.  Simply being assigned as the appellations of two different res in the same category is sufficient to differentiate the nomens.

Stephen