On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 00:39:22 +0000, Wilson, Pete <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>My working formulation is that one has an "attributed
>creator/contributor" relationship and the other has the
>current "real" creator/contributor relationship.  The range
>of attributed creator/ contributor relationships would not be
>limited to "real" entities, though it would include them.
>Some such formulation for expressing evident but not-real
>relationships  would be useful in a variety of cases:
>
>  *   A work attributed to a fictional entity
>  *   A work falsely attributed in the past and on some
>manifestations to a real entity
>  *   A work attributed to a real person but known to be
>ghostwritten by another person
>  *   A work attributed to a house pseudonym shared by
>many unrelated authors, but also known to be by a
>particular person.>

Good list, and I like David Procházka's suggestion to use "attributed name" in
these cases.

I would emend the second list item to read:
    *   A work falsely or erroneously attributed to a real entity

That would include cases where the real author has been identified as someone
other than the entity to whom the work has been attributed either on some
manifestations or in reference sources. Doesn't matter whether the work was
originally issued with this attribution, or anonymously.

And how about adding another item to the list?
    * A work attributed to a real non-human entity but known to be the
intellectual product of a human entity

This would include cases like the one discussed earlier on this (or another?)
forum of "Bo Obama," the presidential dog, who is a real dog but manifestly not
the entity responsible for "Bo confidential" (2009), the work for which his NAR
record was created. (Since the "as told to" entity in this case was "the editors
of MAD Magazine," it's a pretty good bet that the work was a satire, and not a
serious attempt to recreate the reality of Bo's daily life from the canine point
of view.)

It would also cover the case of Tuxedo Hess (lccn no2015080606), who I am sure
is a fine animal, an excellent grazer, and a very good galloper, but if truth be
told, not much of a storyteller, and not terribly eloquent in the English
language:

1000 Tuxedo Hess &#450;c (Horse)
372  Grazing &#450;a Galloping &#450;a Storytelling &#450;2 lcsh
377  eng
670  Tuxedo Hess (Horse). Tuxedo's tails [crossed out] tales, 2015: &#450;b title
page (written by Tuxedo Hess) page 4 of cover (a real rescue horse)

Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
Special Collections/Special Formats Processing
The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313
New York, NY  10018

My opinions, not NYPL's