Actually it is Stephen Hearn to whom Kathie Coblentz is replying.  Just giving credit where it's due.

Pete Wilson
Vanderbilt University

-----Original Message-----
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kathie Coblentz
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2016 11:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] FRBR-LRM: The bibliographic universe and non-human and fictitious agents

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 00:39:22 +0000, Wilson, Pete <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>My working formulation is that one has an "attributed
>creator/contributor" relationship and the other has the current "real"
>creator/contributor relationship.  The range of attributed creator/
>contributor relationships would not be limited to "real" entities,
>though it would include them.
>Some such formulation for expressing evident but not-real relationships
>would be useful in a variety of cases:
>
>  *   A work attributed to a fictional entity
>  *   A work falsely attributed in the past and on some
>manifestations to a real entity
>  *   A work attributed to a real person but known to be
>ghostwritten by another person
>  *   A work attributed to a house pseudonym shared by
>many unrelated authors, but also known to be by a particular person.>

Good list, and I like David Proch?zka's suggestion to use "attributed name" in these cases.

I would emend the second list item to read:
    *   A work falsely or erroneously attributed to a real entity

That would include cases where the real author has been identified as someone other than the entity to whom the work has been attributed either on some manifestations or in reference sources. Doesn't matter whether the work was originally issued with this attribution, or anonymously.

And how about adding another item to the list?
    * A work attributed to a real non-human entity but known to be the intellectual product of a human entity

This would include cases like the one discussed earlier on this (or another?) forum of "Bo Obama," the presidential dog, who is a real dog but manifestly not the entity responsible for "Bo confidential" (2009), the work for which his NAR record was created. (Since the "as told to" entity in this case was "the editors of MAD Magazine," it's a pretty good bet that the work was a satire, and not a serious attempt to recreate the reality of Bo's daily life from the canine point of view.)

It would also cover the case of Tuxedo Hess (lccn no2015080606), who I am sure is a fine animal, an excellent grazer, and a very good galloper, but if truth be told, not much of a storyteller, and not terribly eloquent in the English
language:

1000 Tuxedo Hess &#450;c (Horse)
372  Grazing &#450;a Galloping &#450;a Storytelling &#450;2 lcsh
377  eng
670  Tuxedo Hess (Horse). Tuxedo's tails [crossed out] tales, 2015: &#450;b title page (written by Tuxedo Hess) page 4 of cover (a real rescue horse)

Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger Special Collections/Special Formats Processing The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building 5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313 New York, NY  10018 [log in to unmask]

My opinions, not NYPL's