Well yes, of course different manifestations require different records.  But that has nothing to do with identifying the works.
Kevin

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Gordon Marr
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 1:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Series title from two publishers, one numbered, other unnumbered

The differences described come principally from OCLC's "When to create a new record" (which seems to apply to "manifestations" rather than "works"?)

John G. Marr
DACS
Zimmerman Library
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87010

         **"I really like to know the reasons for what I do!"**
                                             Martha Watson

Opinions belong exclusively to the individuals expressing them, but sharing is permitted.