We are pleased to finally be able to announce the publication of the BIBFRAME vocabulary 2.0 that has been under development <https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/> .  This has been a major process as we have tried to take into consideration a number of sources of comment on the 1.0 vocabulary:  the many community comments over the last 2 years on the BIBFRAME listserv, advice from invited experts, issues resulting from our own pilot with the 1.0 vocabulary, and comments received on GitHub where conversion programs for MARC to BIBRAME were posted.  We appreciate all those who took the time to review and experiment and comment on the 1.0 vocabulary.

As part of converting BIBFRAME to vocabulary 2.0 we have made revisions to the web site.  Documents that do not pertain to 2.0 were archived or marked as 1.0 on the site and those that are new or continue to pertain were created and posted or revised, respectively.  The 2.0 proposals that were published for comment last year have been revised per comments and turned into “specs” for 2.0 <https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/docs/index.html>.  They are useful to answer questions about the vocabulary that a straight reading will bring up.  Also the papers on RDF Conventions <https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/docs/bibframe2-rdf-conventions.html> and on Guidelines <https://www.loc.gov/bibframe/docs/bibframe2-rdf-conventions.html> for expressing data in RDF are important for understanding the properties and classes incorporated in the vocabulary.

The Library is moving forward toward revising tools and conversions for 2.0 with the prospect of experimenting with it in a new pilot late in the year.   Comments and corrections are welcome!

Sally H. McCallum

Chief, Network Development and MARC Standards Office

Library of Congress, 101 Independence Ave., SE

Washington, DC 20540  USA

Tel: 1-202-707-5119 – Fax 1-202-707-0115