Everyone,

I am very pleased to announce that the Mellon Foundation has awarded a grant of $1.5 million to support a project called Linked Data for Production.  Linked Data for Production (LD4P) is a collaboration between six institutions (Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Library of Congress, Princeton, and Stanford University) to begin the transition of technical services production workflows to ones based in Linked Open Data (LOD). This first phase of the transition focuses on the development of the ability to produce metadata as LOD communally, the enhancement of the BIBFRAME ontology to encompass the multiple resource formats that academic libraries must process, and the engagement of the broader academic library community to ensure a sustainable and extensible environment. As its name implies, LD4P is focused on the immediate needs of metadata production such as ontology coverage and workflow transition.

Each institution has developed its own particular focus, from art objects to rare books, from hip hop to performed music, from cartographic materials to key workflow transitions.  The grant has been awarded for two years but we anticipate that the project will need a number more to fully mature.  We've already begun our work and hope to have a few preliminary updates at ALA Annual in Orlando.

Key to any transition will be the involvement of the vendor community and the broader information community in which we function.  We hope to find many avenues of engagement with other linked data efforts, standards groups such as the Program for Cooperative Cataloging, and the community at large.

I've attached a link to the official press release: https://library.stanford.edu/news/2016/04/stanford-libraries-leads-collaborative-grant

And LD4P's wiki: https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=74515029

Please take a look if you are interested and I'd be very happy to answer any questions that you may have!

Philip

Philip E. Schreur, PhD

Assistant University Librarian for Technical and Access Services

Stanford University

Green Library

557 Escondido Mall

Stanford, CA 94305-6004