Nancy

It’s just occurred to me that we create NARs for non-human animals, as well as for humans. And we use 375 for them (there are several horses on LC/NAF with gender recorded as “male”). In LCSH, “Males” is a broader term of “Men”; as we create NARs for “organisms in general” (including humans), I don’t think it would be wrong to collocate gender at the broader level of “Males”, if using LCSH.

This is an issue for me at the moment, as we add a lot of the common element-level metadata using macros, and with the recent changes to RDA I need to redesign the macros that currently give 375s with uncontrolled terms “male” and “female”. Whatever its limitations, we currently use LCSH here for most things, having cataloguers who are familiar with it, and an updated local copy on the system. And I’m minded to collocate at the broader level.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moore

Authority Control Team Manager

The British Library

Tel.: +44 (0)1937 546104

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

“You’re very clever, young man, very clever. But it’s turtles all the way down.”