Zhonghua,

I don’t think it’s correct to say that you are “following RDA and PCC practice to use male and female to record gender.”   RDA has changed, and you should no longer follow a practice that RDA doesn’t actually specify.  RDA 9.7.1.3 no longer includes a list of gender terms.  All it says now is:

9.7.1.3.  Record the gender of the person, using an appropriate term in a language preferred by the agency creating the data.  Select a term from a standard list, if available.

Record gender as a separate element. Gender is not recorded as part of an access point.

It’s true that an earlier iteration of this instruction had a list of terms, making them a standard, controlled list to use.  But that list is no longer present in RDA, meaning that it’s not correct to say that by continuing to record “female” and “male” you are following RDA or current PCC practice.  You are following an obsolete practice.  RDA says “select a term from a standard list, if available.”  PCC says to prefer controlled vocabulary for this element.  Since standard lists are available (LCDGT, LCSH, ISO 5218  and probably others that aren’t yet listed in the MARC Gender Code and Term Source Codes list (http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/gender.html)), it seems to me that continuing to record the terms “male” and “female” without also including a subfield $2 for a source for those terms, is not following the spirit of either RDA or PCC stated preferences.    As others have pointed out too, the DCM Z1 for 375 says “For consistency, capitalize the first term in each subfield $a.

ISO 5218 is really about international numeric codes for human sexes, but it does include the English terms “male” and “female”, and in fact I believe that is where RDA originally got its list of terms.  So if one wants to continue to record the singular forms from a standard list, I think one also has to include $2 iso5218.

This is what ISO 5218 says:

Human sex is represented by a one-character numeric code.

The following data elements and codes are used:

Data elements              Code

Not known                    0 (zero)

Male                             1 (one)

Female                         2 (two)

Not applicable               9 (nine)

The DCM Z1 also says “Prefer use of terms over the ISO 5218 codes.

My conclusion from reading the current instruction in RDA and the DCM Z1 is that yes, uncontrolled capitalized terms in singular form are allowed in this field, but that is not preferred.  Since it’s easy to use controlled terms from LCDGT, LCSH, or even ISO 5218, I don’t know why libraries would continue to follow a now obsolete RDA practice.

Adam Schiff

University of Washington Libraries