Hi Vicki,

If A and B merged to form C, then:

"component of merger" is the relationship between A and C and also between
B and C; reciprocally, C is the "product of merger' to A and B.
"mergee" is the relationship between A and B, and reciprocally between B
and A.

However, I recall this was discussed on the list a couple of years ago. The PCC
Guidelines on Using Relationship Designators in NACO Authority Records
<https://www.loc.gov/aba/pcc/rda/PCC%20RDA%20guidelines/Relat-Desig-Guidelines-AUTH-Final.docx>
(February
2014), guideline 8,
instructed as follows:

Exception: Until further notice, do not use the Appendix K relationship
designators “Mergee” or “Product of a merger.” The relationship designators
“Predecessor” or “Successor” may be used instead.

At the time this was written, "component of merger" was not yet available
(it was added in April 2014), which is probably part of the reason the
exception existed, as it was then unclear whether "mergee" was serving as
both the relationship beween A and C and between A and B.

So, does anyone know whether PCC has revisited this exception yet?

Thank you,

Matt

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Brueck, Vicki <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I assume that I am just having a dense morning, but I’m confused about
> which relationship designator to use for some authority records I am
> creating.  I have a case of Corporate Body A and Corporate Body B who
> merged to form Corporate Body C.  Corporate Body C is the “product of
> merger,”  but are Corporate body A and Corporate Body B “component of
> merger” or “merge” relationships?  The definitions follow.
>

> *component of merger* A corporate body that formed the other corporate
> body by merging with one or more other corporate bodies.
>
> *mergee* A corporate body that merged with the other corporate body to
> form a third.
>

> Thanks for the help in explaining this, clearly I need more coffee,
>
> Vicki
>

> Vicki Brueck
>
> Cataloger, Content Management and Access Branch
>
> Government & Heritage Library
>
> State Library of North Carolina
>
> Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
>

> 919-807-7451 office
>
> 919-733-1843 fax

> 109 East Jones St.
>
> 4640 Mail Service Center
>
> Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4600
>
> [image: cid:[log in to unmask]]
>

> *Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the*
>
> *North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.*

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library
Columbia University Libraries