(Consultant) is another really useful one.

Greta de Groat

Stanford University Libraries

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Michael Chopey <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Most Useless Name Qualifier of the Day (I selected the winner)

It's 9.19.1.6 (and its PS and also the PS for 9.19.1.3).

There are a lot more than three that have the same problem in different forms, such as:

(College student)
(PhD student)
(Student M.A.)
(Student at American University)
(Doctoral student at Georgetown University)
(Medical student)
(Law student)
(Doctoral candidate)
(Ph.D. candidate)
(Intern)
(Research intern)
(Medical trainee)

The are also a few hundred personal name headings with the occupation/profession qualifier "assistant professor" or "associate professor," which in many cases will also be problematic.

Michael A. Chopey
Catalog Librarian
Hamilton 008
University of Hawaii at Manoa Libraries