I hope BIBFRAME or whatever other standard-to-replace-MARC materializes might use the edges/connections between subjects and objects to describe relationships like "successor to" or "spurious". I envision such edges as verbs, or possibly adjectives, to the nouns of subjects. Wishful thinking, but no more unreasonable than hoping subject experts will actually have the resources to use this structure (time being the most precious of our resources).