I agree with all of that.  Here's a useful list of audio formats, which is
probably not complete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_audio_formats

I think the "moving head" category which you put first is especially
vulnerable.  In particular the ones that were used for recording early
digital audio--U-Matic, Beta, VHS and then DAT.  It is almost impossible
now to find a good U-Matic player that works, or works right (I have been
thru this).  And it takes a Beta or VHS machine with exactly the right set
of features to play back early PCM digital recordings, not just any old
Beta or VHS machine.

There are also some large analog tape cartridge formats that might have
valuable audio material recorded on them.  The players for these must be
very scarce by now.  Thankfully the common 8-track cartridges were not
widely used for recording, although somebody somewhere was probably dumb
enough to record valuable material on them.

One of my concerns about the big push to digitize large archives, which I
agree is an urgent goal, is that there will be a "get it done" mentality
that will compromise the standards essential for getting excellent digital
copies.  And if no one actually listens to the results shortly after
digitization is done, which I also expect will happen frequently, the bad
copying errors (which as we know, are very easy to commit) will not be
discovered for years in the future.

I also believe in the number one rule of audio preservation--do NOT throw
out the original after it has been transferred.  Audio digitization is not
an excuse to "make space" and clear out shelves by tossing out all the
original format materials, unless they are in such a state that they are
garbage after being transferred.  I have a fear that many archives may
think that they are solving a space problem by digitizing their holdings.
We should do everything we can to discourage this kind of thinking.

Thanks for all those good thoughts, Richard.

Best,
John Haley