Hi, Steve,

Many editions of collected sheet music, like Schirmer editions of say, the
Beethoven Sonatas or Chopin Etudes, have a page in the front with the
opening lines of music printed.  So you can look at that and quickly
identify a piece.  But that presupposes that you have a collection of such
sheet music, which is hard to come by these days.

Sometimes it helps if you will have a keyboard handy and can identify what
key a piece is in, which usually isn't hard.  It might sound like a Chopin
Nocturne, for instance, and if you know the key signature, then you have
vastly narrowed the possibilities.   Same for a Vivaldi concerto.  I have
even listened to the bits available on Amazon (a few seconds of each track)
to identify a particular piece, although they seem to be posting less of
those these days.

It sounds like a tough job, but somebody has to do it, right?

Best,
John Haley