Dear Dennis,

Music is so personal and the emotion is so much a part of the listening
experience. I recall hearing Georg Solti conducting T5 with the
Chicagoans in the late 1970s or early 1980s. Phenomenal! Wow! I marched
out of the concert.

I just listened to the fourth movement of the Philips recording by
Valery Gergiev from 1998 with the Vienna Philharmonic recorded live in
the Grosses Festspielhaus, Salzburg. The applause was as I remembered it
for Solti at Carnegie Hall. Though I had just listened to the same
movement by Mravinsky which was probably better and didn't have the loud
Bravos at the end. From the Philips Original Jackets CD18.

The Dorati/Minneapolis T5 from the MLP3-12 set is less inspiring on many
levels (sorry Tom). It sounds more plodding and I didn't like the sound
quality as much (I'm not certain why as I generally like MLP
recordings). It's not that it's bad, but if I recall correctly, it's an
early recording and sounds it, though the Mravinsky is a fairly old
recording as well, no?

Thanks for the impetus to enjoy music <smile>.

Cheers,

Richard