On 5/17/2016 1:16 PM, Steven Smolian wrote:
> Has anyone considered the use of a 3D printer to recreatie damaged records?
> If the image passes through a program where one can make adjustments to the
> image before it prints, this could be a way to repair damaged grooves.
>
> It could then be used to track the untrackable and, if there is enough of
> the sound remaining on part of a damaged groove wall, to replicate it to
> replace the worn parts.  Does Irene presently do that?
>
> If the groove was then cut into a cylinder  vertically, sound would be
> improved as compared with the original, assuming the original and copied
> groove are of equal accuracy, by eliminating the issues regarding pivoted
> arm tracking and the change of velocity inherent disc cutting.
>
> How about using this or a similar process with an Irene scan in order to
> bypass the need to convert the disc image into sound, a weak part of that
> system?  We make pretty good cartridges nowadays.

Hi, Steve,

I am usually suicidally optimistic in many situations, but in this case
I have felt a bit of "bubble-sell" like back in the dot-com days.

I was surprised to see this article from INC reprinted in Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/3d-printing-is-dead-heres-why-2016-6?amp

I'd like to say "for now" because if we spin around and wait 20 years it
might come back, but now is not yet the time.

As an aside, in the early 1990s, my father asked me if he could get a
scanner and scan and store many of his archives on his computer. When
looking into it then, it was daunting and imagine what a few TB of
storage would cost back then. Even today, it takes someone with more
computer experience than my father would ever be capable of mustering.
Heck, while I'm not a computer expert, I find that if something goes
wrong on a large storage device, I need to call in the experts.

That said, once I got a replacement unit, my now-six-month-old QNAP
TS853 Pro NAS unit has been wonderful. I have eight 3 TB drives in it
configured as RAID6 providing about 18 TB of storage, of which I'm
currently using about 60%. (used 8.8 TiB, available 7 TiB) When you're
in the TB range the difference between TB and TiB starts to become large!

I provide this example because over a space of two decades what was
impossibly expensive now only costs a couple of grand... and I get close
to wire speed on my Gigabit Ethernet into and out of the thing (when the
computer at the other end can handle it).

Cheers,

Richard