On 6/29/2016 12:15 PM, Steven Smolian wrote:
> Hi, Richard,
>
> There is a new 3D process that, apparently, creates a mold into which a liquid is poured and then hardens.  Does this process sound familiar?

Hi, Steve,

It does not sound familiar.

I'm not certain I would call making a mold "new" but perhaps there is a
new way of doing it?

One of the items in that article I linked to was cost...and effort level.

It sounds to me that those two factors plus resolution would be at issue.

At a 9-inch diameter, the stylus on a 78 r/m disc is moving at 21.7
in/s. So a 10 kHz signal's wavelength would be about 2.2 mils
(thousandths of an inch). Does this mold cutting apparatus have that
kind of resolution -- into the sub-mil range? Since this is analog, I
would think we'd need perhaps a resolution on the order 10x the
wavelength -- I don't think the Shannon-Nyquist limit applies to this,
but even if it does, we're talking still 1 mil or better resolution.

Cheers,

Richard