Hi Stewart,

If you are looking for a turntable to play 16" discs, I would suggest
looking for a turntable that has a 16" platter (rare and expensive).
Those that claim to be able to play a 16" disc can do so, but leave the
outer edge of the disc unsupported and the amount of unsupported disc
will vary with platter size. The problem I have with that situation is
the resonance of the unsupported area of the disc. I have a Rek-O-Kut
CVS 16 that has a 14" platter and my fix was to make a 16" aluminum disc
that rests on the 14" platter. The tone arm is able to handle the extra
height (barely) without a shim but the set-up is tedious and time
consuming to get everything correct and within spec of the turntable
which doesn't have the best specs to begin with.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering
www.baileyzone.net