Hi Richard,

Thank you for taking on this project. If there is anything I can
contribute from the Left Coast, please let me know.

Three questions immediately come to mind which could lead to some testing:

Why do some audio tape formulations seem to last the test of time and
other formulations are (almost) guaranteed to be SS? Generally, those
tapes that are guaranteed to be SS are much newer formulations.

Does the back-coating of those tapes that are back-coated contribute to
tape degradation? There has been some testing , mostly by Charles
Richardson, that suggests that the back-coating may lead to SS over time.

Why are we now seeing evidence of SS with digital audio (and some DV)
tapes? These formulations and manufacturing procedures are completely
different than analog audio tape.

Cheers!

Corey
Corey Bailey Audio Engineering