Thanks, However............... for the 1812, I'm a fan of the Dorati with real canons and carillon bells.
Thanks.
Ben

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Clark Johnsen
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 3:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Does anyone (has anyone ever) conducted Tchaikovsky like Koussevitzky?

And from out in left field we have Nicolai Golovanov, recorded c.1948 in not very good sound, but still. . .

For a real taste of the man's mastery, however, consider his 1812 Overture.
It will never be the same for you afterwards. Think: 1812 was the year that Napoleon stormed the gates and his battle song is the Marseillaise. Is that something you want to hear when you're trapped inside? No! So instead of rendering it prettily, as in all other performances, Golovanov makes the tune properly threatening. You can watch the hair on your arms stand up!
But: At one point he interpolates the Internationale, in a bow to his bosses. Oh well.