Hi, John,

I have a big score collection.  The problem with these tapes is that I have no clue other than aural as to what is on them.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Haley
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2016 2:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Identifying classcial music by desktop

Hi, Steve,

Many editions of collected sheet music, like Schirmer editions of say, the Beethoven Sonatas or Chopin Etudes, have a page in the front with the opening lines of music printed.  So you can look at that and quickly identify a piece.  But that presupposes that you have a collection of such sheet music, which is hard to come by these days.

Sometimes it helps if you will have a keyboard handy and can identify what key a piece is in, which usually isn't hard.  It might sound like a Chopin Nocturne, for instance, and if you know the key signature, then you have
vastly narrowed the possibilities.   Same for a Vivaldi concerto.  I have
even listened to the bits available on Amazon (a few seconds of each track) to identify a particular piece, although they seem to be posting less of those these days.

It sounds like a tough job, but somebody has to do it, right?

Best,
John Haley