Hi Joseph,

an interesting resource.

A couple of comments:

1) It should be referencing BCP47 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47)
rather than rfc5646
2) The variant subtag alalc97 specifically refers to the transliterations
published in the 1997 volume of the romanisation tables. If the you are
using an ala-lc romanisation table that is not included in that edition of
the tables, or you are using a table that has changed since then, then
using alalc97 is incorrect.

Unfortunately noone has tried to register other variant subtags to offer
better coverage of ala-lc romanisation.

As you indicate language tagging of strings is important and necessary.
LIkewise appropriate support of bidi embedding levels is also important.

A.

alalc97

Andrew Cunningham