Joe -
We too found the W3C specs of little use here.  But the BIBFRAME view is that rdf:value supplies content that is machine processable; the content of rdfs:label is intended for display.
There may a case or two that doesn’t exactly conform to this distinction (your example of  bf:AccessPolicy rdf:value “unrestricted”   perhaps should instead be rdfs:label) but that’s the general rule of thumb.

Ray

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joseph Kiegel
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 11:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIBFRAME] rdf:value

BIBFRAME RDF Convention #8 states:  use rdf:value and rdfs:label as appropriate when supplying the value of a resource.
I am having trouble understanding when rdf:value is used.  I can’t induce a rule from examples in the BIBFRAME specifications (transcribed below) and RDF Schema 1.1 [1] doesn’t throw much light on it.
Can someone explain what appropriate use of rdf:value is?
Identifiers
Example 1
bf:identifiedBy [ a bf:Isbn
rdf:value “9783110413014” ] .
Example 2
bf:identifiedBy [ a identifier:ABC ;
rdf:value “MX3-387” ] .
Example 3
bf:identifiedBy [ a bf:Identifier ;
bf:source “xyz” ;
rdf:value “1234567890” ] .

Notes
Example 3
bf:baseMaterial [
bf:code [ rdf:value “o” ;
bf:source [rdf:value “marc007ng04” ] ] ;
bf:note [ a bf:Note ;
rdfs:label “Image printed on thick gold paper.” ] ] .

Item
Example (truncated)
<http://bibframe.example.org/item/itemZ>
bf:shelfMarkLcc [rdf:value “LB2395.C65 1991” ] ;
bf:usageAndAccessPolicy [

Administrative Metadata
Example
<http://bibframe.example.org/item/instanceX>
a bf:Instance ;
bf:title [rdfs:label “Medical history” ] ;
bf:identifiedBy [
a bf:Issn ;
rdf:value “2168-7633” ;
bf:adminMetadata [