Joe -

We too found the W3C specs of little use here.  But the BIBFRAME view is that rdf:value supplies content that is machine processable; the content of rdfs:label is intended for display.

There may a case or two that doesn’t exactly conform to this distinction (your example of  bf:AccessPolicy rdf:value “unrestricted”   perhaps should instead be rdfs:label) but that’s the general rule of thumb.

Ray

From: Bibliographic Framework Transition Initiative Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joseph Kiegel
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 11:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BIBFRAME] rdf:value

BIBFRAME RDF Convention #8 states:  use rdf:value and rdfs:label as appropriate when supplying the value of a resource.

I am having trouble understanding when rdf:value is used.  I can’t induce a rule from examples in the BIBFRAME specifications (transcribed below) and RDF Schema 1.1 [1] doesn’t throw much light on it.

Can someone explain what appropriate use of rdf:value is?

Identifiers

Example 1

bf:identifiedBy [ a bf:Isbn

rdf:value “9783110413014” ] .

Example 2

bf:identifiedBy [ a identifier:ABC ;

rdf:value “MX3-387” ] .

Example 3

bf:identifiedBy [ a bf:Identifier ;

bf:source “xyz” ;

rdf:value “1234567890” ] .

Notes

Example 3

bf:baseMaterial [

bf:code [ rdf:value “o” ;

bf:source [rdf:value “marc007ng04” ] ] ;

bf:note [ a bf:Note ;

rdfs:label “Image printed on thick gold paper.” ] ] .

Item

Example (truncated)

<http://bibframe.example.org/item/itemZ>

bf:shelfMarkLcc [rdf:value “LB2395.C65 1991” ] ;

bf:usageAndAccessPolicy [

Administrative Metadata

Example

<http://bibframe.example.org/item/instanceX>

a bf:Instance ;

bf:title [rdfs:label “Medical history” ] ;

bf:identifiedBy [

a bf:Issn ;

rdf:value “2168-7633” ;

bf:adminMetadata [