From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Borries
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 13:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Entertainment industry

This may not be quite the correct forum, and if it isn't, my apologies.  I was looking for the heading "Entertainment industry" in LCSH.  There is no such heading, not even as a cross reference.  There is a heading "Performing arts," with the cross reference "Show business."  "Show business" is considered by Wikipedia as an alternate term for "Entertainment industry."

So, my question is, for the purposes of the catalog, do we consider "Performing arts," "Show business," and "Entertainment industry" to be equivalent terms, and should "Entertainment industry" be a see reference on the record for "Performing arts"?

Michael S. Borries
Cataloger, City University of New York
151 East 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY  10010