I realize that the following is a minor point, but clarity in language is something dear to my heart, so I will put it out there:

I'm preparing a name authority record for a gentleman who is a clergyman in the Church of England. I ran a search in Connexion (dx:rda and en:reverend) to see how the title "Reverend" was being recorded in RDA authority records.

I expected to find the term recorded as a title, that is, in 368 subfield $d.

I found some instances of that, but was surprised to find quite a few more instances of "Reverend" in 374 subfield $a.

To my mind, "Reverend" is a respectful title and a form of address (it is so defined in the Oxford English Dictionary).

It is not an occupation -- the proper term for that would be "Clergy" -- so we should not be recording it in the 374 field, which is defined as Occupation.

So this is a friendly plea to consider recording the term "Clergy" in 374 $a, but Reverend (when properly backed by the person's usage) in 368 $d. If others have different thoughts about where to record "Reverend" in an authority record, it would be good to have some discussion of those views.
--
Charles Croissant
Senior Catalog Librarian