Hey Richard.  Thank you for that insight.  I have been trying to play them
on the old recorder and I'll stop now.  You are exactly right that I am
trying to figure out what I want to keep by listening to them but that
might not be the best way to proceed.  Especially the ones that are the
most precious, I should probably go right to digitize.

Mary Jean

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Richard L. Hess <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi, Mary Jean,
>
> Welcome to ARSCLIST.
>
> Servicing a consumer portable recorder that is 50 years old is a challenge.
>
> Some things to consider about tape recorders from that era:
>
> (1) All of the components are againg and some/many are difficult to obtain.
>
> (2) Recorders of that era almost invariably recorded better than they
> played back.
>
> (3) There are some failure modes that can end up irreparably damaging the
> magnetic record on your tapes.
>
> (4) There are some failure modes that can physically damage the tape.
>
> If you value these tapes and you think their contents are of value and
> that they might have been well recorded, I would suggest either obtaining a
> better machine to play them back or asking someone to digitize them who is
> in the business.
>
> This is a difficult "catch 22" if you wish to play the tapes on the old
> machine to determine which tapes are worthy of professional transfer, the
> sound may be degraded by that selection process on the old machine.
>
> I will admit to being in the business of doing such professional
> transfers, but there are many on this list who might be able to assist you.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard
>

> On 7/19/2016 4:01 PM, Mary Jean Collins wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have a Roberts 6000, reel-to-reel portable tape recorder.  It is not
>> working properly.  I have many tapes that are close to 50 years old that I
>> want to play.  I live in Washington DC.  anyone on list who can help me
>> out?
>>
>> List was recommended by someone at LOC
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> Mary Jean Collins