We're kicking off this month's issue with a tribute to the late, great Bernie Worrell who released his final album Retrospectives this year.  Also featured is the self-titled debut by the new rock supergroup Project N-Fidelikah, with Fishbone's Angelo Moore.

July brings a number of soul releases, including Charles Bradley's Changes, the newest self-titled release by Bloomington's own Durand Jones & the Indications, and two compilations of Chicago soul-Blessed: The Emotions Anthology 1969-1985 and the Numero Group's Eccentric Soul: Sitting in the Park, a tribute to the Chicago deejay Bob Abrahamian who specialized in collecting and playing Chicago Sweet Soul. Another compilation, 4th Coming's Strange Things, is a funky record that earns its title with off-the-wall experimentation.

Under jazz there's the new release, Planetary Prince, from Cameron Graves (a member of the groundbreaking West Coast Get Down collective). Our hip hop release of the month is The Rebellion Sessions, an instrumental collaboration between rapper/producer Black Milk and Washington, D.C. group Nat Turner.

In world music, we're featuring Musique de Nuit-a cello/kora collaboration between Ballaké Sissoko and Vincent Segal, as well as the Afrobeat compilation Rich Medina Presents Jump 'N' Funk.

Wrapping up this month's issue is our list of June 2016 Releases of Note.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music and Culture
www.blackgrooves.org