Hi Stuart,

It isn't a question of normalisation. The relevant UAX is UAX 9 not UAX 15

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/

My understanding is that without control characters controlling isolation
or embedding levels for RTL text the BIBFRAME file could be malformed and
have unintented results.

Obviously in certain uses the control characters would need to be stripped
out. Ie when outputting to web the control characters should be stripped
out and replaced with appropriate html markup.

A.

> Many BIBFRAME applications are unlikely to do much text processing except
for comparison and maybe sorting. In such cases you almost certainly want
to pick a normalisation form a use it wherever possible, because it will
make comparisons and sorting faster. See http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/

> If you're interoperating with legacy systems, you may need to add control
codes to exported data.

> cheers
> stuart
>
> --
> I have a new phone number: 04 463 5692
> https://www.facebook.com/VUWLibrary / https://www.facebook.com/TKMPC

[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Andrew Cunningham <
> Sent: Saturday, 2 July 2016 10:47:46 a.m.
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [BIBFRAME] Bidi control in BIBFRAME
>
> I assume that the best way of handling bidirectional text in BIBFRAME is
by using RLI, LRI and PDI Unicode control codes.

--
Andrew Cunningham